I have two shirts I absolutely love from the One of a Kind Show. I go to this show twice a year when it comes to Toronto and I have found a lot of unique and more healthy & organic products that now have been a part of my daily life since 2007. The two shirts I love is one that is a stitched outline of the spine and the other is of a hummingbird. These were my inspiration for this tee. I wanted to find a way to depict a spine without stitching on a tee shirt
Difficulty level is: Easy & Fun
• 1 tee shirt
• 1 pair of sharp fabric scissors
• Pen, Pencil, Chalk
1. Lay your tee shirt out flat with the back facing up.
2. Using a ruler draw a 3” lines down the middle on the shirt with 1 ½” space between each line until you reach the bottom.
3. On the left side draw lines in-between the 1 ½ inch space of the center lines, going in about ½” into the area of the center lines.
4. Repeat on the right side.
5. Cut all the lines with a fabric scissors.
6. Now pull the second strip of fabric in the centre and pull down. (leave the first one to maintain the collar)
7. Then pull the third center strip over and then under the second strip.
8. Repeat until you have reached the bottom.
9. Hand stitch the left over loop to the bottom to the tee shirt.
10. Turn the shirt over to the front and add some addition small slits down the side ½” on each side.
• Place a piece of cardboard between the tee-shirt to protect the fabric.
This was my favourite shirt to make to date. Truth be told the side slits happened because I didn’t put a piece of cardboard between the tee shirt to protect the fabric. It turned out so good and my mistake made this shirt even better in my eyes that I just keep adding on to the sides.