When you hear the word poutine what do you think? Of course if you know what it is you think: Canadian. A poutine for the few that have never heard of this is fries served with gravy and cheese curds on top. Everywhere you turn now in Canada the poutine is on the menu at fast food joints, greasy spoons, dives, diners and pubs. We even have a place that only serves poutine called Smoke’s Poutinerie, taking the poutine to new heights with creative ingredients and making it a full meal. I have had one there that reminds me of a thanksgiving dinner with green peas and everything; but I’m going to fess up here, I the Candy Coated Culinista am a bad Canadian. I really don’t care for poutine. I love all the components: fries yum, gravy: who wouldn’t like gravy it’s pack with flavour, cheese: give me any type of cheese and I will eat it but I just don’t like the cheese curds. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that they have un-uniformed shapes, that it’s on the sour side but I don’t want that on my fries. One night I made Mr. C. Chilli fries and I experimented with the idea of Greek Poutine.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 25 min
Difficulty level is: Easy
• Fries, as much as you like
• A pinch or Greek spices
• Salt, to taste
• Pepper, to taste
• A bunch cilantro, rough chopped
• A bunch of basil, rough chopped
• Feta cheese, crumbled
• Mushroom gravy, from package
1. Lay fries out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Greek spices, salt and pepper and toss.
2. Follow the baking instructions of your fries and bake.
3. In the meantime chop the cilantro & basil and crumbled the feta cheese and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan prepare you gravy.
5. Once fries are done pour into a large bowl and coats with gravy, cilantro, basil, feta cheese and serve.
I have made this three times now and it’s slightly addictive for me. Maybe because I try to eat healthy most of the time or because I know it tastes better than any poutine I’ve ever had. It taste fresh and has a distinct Greek flavour which I love. I have a poutine I can now enjoy with all the components. I just had to C.C. it up a little to get me there.