I planned on making homemade cupcakes for my birthday post, but like usual I got too busy and too many things preoccupied my time surrounding my birthday. One of my closest friends from childhood and also one of my bridesmaids is a January baby also; just 6 days after me. I made sure that over the weekend I was going to makes cupcakes, whether homemade or box and just jazzed up. I ended up making a box cupcake and added sprinkles and flavoured extracts, and premade frosting. My goal here was to practice icing a cupcake with a decorating bag/piping bag. For my first attempt I used one of my Christmas presents from 2012 a Dessert Decorator (a cylinder tube with a plunger top) along with the Star Tip. I found this to be so easy that after my first try it came out pretty well. I made cotton candy flavored blue frosting as this is her favourite colour.
• Dessert Decorator/ Decorating Bag/ Piping Bag
• Decorating Tips
• Food Colouring
• Star Quinns
• I tried both decorating piping the cupcakes with no stream (tail) and with and I found that with a tail seemed to work easier. I would suggest just don’t give it too much of a lead until you’re proficient in decorating.
1. Arrange cupcakes.
2. Prepare frosting and add flavourings or colouring as desired.
3. Fill the decorator.
4. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
5. Decorate with star quinns
I had a blast decorating these cupcakes and my friend was so excited when she saw them. She also loved that I remembered her favourite colour. I also gave a bunch to another friend (also a bridesmaid) and my second mom’s family. Mr. C said “great job hun” and of course I set aside some house cupcakes.